Welcome to my web site. I’m Steve Chase, and I look forward to being your attorney. I was sworn in to practice law in California on 7 January 1972, and the next day, I went to court at the Hall of Justice in San Francisco to handle my first criminal case. Since that time I have been in the private practice of law, mostly as a sole practitioner, with offices in San Mateo County. I currently have my office at 421 Grand Avenue, Suite A, South San Francisco, California 94080-3635. I handle cases in all of the Bay Area counties, and have handled matters throughout California in the 45+ years I have been in practice.
I have tried cases before juries in criminal matters ranging from petty theft to first degree murder. I have tried civil cases before juries in matters of personal injury, wrongful death, false imprisonment, and medical malpractice. I have handled other civil matters including family law, bankruptcy, contracts, construction, slander and libel, and defense of dental malpractice. I write wills and trusts for people’s estates. At the present time, I’m only handling matters involving criminal defense.
I am on the Private Defender Panel in San Mateo County, representing indigent citizens who can’t afford to hire an attorney in criminal matters. I am not employed by the County. I maintain my own office, and get paid on a case by case basis by the Office of the Private Defender. I have been awarded the Woodman Award by the Office of the Private Defender. This award is given annually to the Attorney, who, “heedless of opposition and with ceaseless determination fights for those whose liberty or lives are in peril.”
I have been given an AV rating by Martindale and Hubbel, which is an “outstanding” rating, and the highest given by that organization. The ratings come from peers and judges. I have also been selected as a “Super Lawyer” in the area of criminal law by Superlawyers.com. This is also a peer ranked award which is given to only five percent of attorneys in the country.
- Undergraduate School: UC Berkeley, A.B. degree 1968
- Law School: Hastings College of the Law, J.D. degree 1971
Memberships, Associations, and Achievements
- Admitted to the State Bar of California January 1972
- Past president, vice president, secretary and treasurer of the North San Mateo County Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV–Preeminent” rating
- The Woodman Award from the San Mateo Private Defender Program 2010
- Lecturer in Criminal Law at Skyline College 1975-1977
- Here-Say Magazine of San Mateo County: Article on Sexual Assault Cases
- Stein: “Closing Arguments” Closing argument on damages to a child